Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 4

Today I didn't work!! We went to the library this morning and had a pretty enjoyable day overall.
Here is the rundown of the food that went on in our house today.
Breakfast-- banana sliced in a bowl with almond milk and a hard boiled egg that C wanted to put in her almond milk 😝 Thankfully she did not do that!
Lunch was leftovers. Taco salad with guacamole and salsa, kale chips, apple and coconut milk yogurt. 
Dinner was quite the battle. I made stuffed collard greens (stuffed with ground beef, sausage, some green pepper, onion, and some random spices--then baked in bone broth for about an hour) and green beans. I also finally made those gummies I've been talking about for the past 3 days.  I used strawberries, Great Lakes gelatin and kefir water, which were by far her favorite part of dinner. After she dropped her fork three times, jumped back and forth between her chair and mine seven times and fell on the floor twice I made the executive decision that dinner was over for C. Then we had a giant three year old melt down and moved on with our lives.
 


I've decided the gummies really shouldn't be called gummies, they should be called  jigglers, well maybe not that, because I bet chemical filled Jell-o had that trademarked, but they are more of that consistency than gummy. Anyhow the recipe is as follows:
1 cup puréed fruit (I most often use strawberries)
1/4 cup Great Lakes gelatin (make sure it's the orange container)
3/4 cup kefir water or juice

Mix the fruit and gelatin in a small pot on the stove and heat until mixed and thickening. If you are using fruit juice you can add that now too, but if you are using kefir water wait until your mixture cools slightly, as you don't want to kill the probiotics in the kefir.  Mix that all together and pour into silicone molds or in a pan (I've done both).
 
Here is the gelatin I use. I buy it from amazon and it lasts a long time. This has lots of great health benefits--check it out. For those of you with texture aversions, they also have a green container that does not thicken liquids, so you can add it to almost any liquid for the benefits. 
 
As far as kefir water goes, I recently started to make my own. It's a good source of probiotics. I don't care for it by itself, but will often add it to my shake in the morning. 
To be honest with you I am not looking forward to the next few days as we have parties to attend and I will be cooking full meals to take along with us. I normally can survive, but I know C will struggle and want cookies and ice cream like the rest of the kids. I'll share what I bring along with a few recipes.  
Happy 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment