Monday, August 18, 2014

a little update and an AC recipe

First of all, I want to apologize for taking two weeks off. I started this post last week and sort of forgot about it. I worked four days at school last week which is out of my routine.  I know I have a rough life, right?  Sigh!
First you'll have to read about C's eczema journey, then I have a recipe to share with you. Or I suppose if you don't want to read about diet and eczema, you can skip to the bottom for the recipe. We continue to have eczema flare ups although they are getting less severe each time. I recently started C on some milk thistle drops to cleanse her liver to see if that will allow us to make some progress that lasts. I guess I'd describe our current progress as two steps forward, one step back, so we are making progress, it just doesn't feel like it in day to day life.
Just to refresh, we are currently doing nut free Paleo with her. No gluten, no grains, no dairy, no nuts, no soy.  We also use quality foods and oils (organic, pastured, grassfed, etc) and keep household cleaners to a bare minimum. If anyone is interested in learning more about keeping your cleaners clean let me know, I'll put a post together.
 
Here is my recipe for meatloaf stuffed peppers:
(Note:  This makes 8-12 servings, so it's plenty to have for packed lunches)
 
4-6 bell peppers cut in half and seeded
1 lb pork sausage (pastured is preferable)
1 lb ground beef (grassfed is preferable)
1/4 cup of each: finely chopped green pepper, red pepper, onion
1 egg (preferably free range/ soy free)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch (or 2) of sea salt
Ground black pepper as you wish

Preheat oven to 350. After you have cut and seeded peppers place them in a casserole dish. I used at 9x13 pan for 3 peppers and then a 9x9 for 2 more peppers. Put remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir it up. By stir I mean, take the rings off your fingers and mush it all together with your bare hands :) After meat mixture is mixed together well divide and place into halved peppers. Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat mixture reaches 165 degrees.

I served the peppers with roasted cauliflower.  Which is pretty simple.  Just cut up a head of washed/rinsed cauliflower (I almost sliced mine so that I could get lots of flavor on each piece).  Place cauliflower on a foil lined baking sheet and brush refined coconut oil on the cauliflower and lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.  You could use any spices you want, I just carried my spices from my meatloaf over to my cauliflower.  Place it in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until it's done to your liking.

Here they are ready to eat!





No comments:

Post a Comment